Be honest, did you learn the basics before you decided to jump into doing brush calligraphy?
I didn't think so.
Like many beginners, including myself 2 years ago, I became obsessed with lettering. I followed as many letterers as I could, I stalked their Instagram accounts and tried to learn by copying styles I saw.
I bought all the fancy schmancy tools, brush markers, brush pens, brush this and that, and still, my lettering looked like this.
No joke, go scroll through my Instagram and see for yourself.
So what did I do to get better?
I started from scratch and focused on the basics, perfecting strokes and developing all those tiny muscles in my wrist.
Stepping away from the Tombow brush markers and the expensive tools was the best thing I have done. Instead, I practiced with a smaller brush pen.
You're a beginner, act like one
I know you want to jump in there and become the best letterer the world has seen, but if you get on that bike before you put the wheels on, you won't get very far.
Every single person you follow and envy was a beginner at one point, they probably sucked just like you do now.
But no worries, I got you covered.
There are no rules, just practice, fun, and community.
THE #90DaysOfDrills CHALLENGE
In just 90 days you can improve your lettering by simply focusing on the basic stroke. Yes, really! Take a calligraphy class, they will tell you the same thing.
The focus of this challenge is to build muscle memory in your hand and to teach you the basic strokes that build up letters, to really take your modern brush calligraphy to a new level.
Here's a quick overview at how it will work.
- You will receive a guide on the best tools for beginners like you.
- A video explaining different strokes and how to practice effectively.
- Every week for 90 days (because 365 days is too much and 30 is just not enough) I will send you an email with the new strokes for that week.
- 28 days of drills
- 26 days of uppercase letters
- 26 days of lowercase letters
- 10 days of numbers
- You will print it out, take your brush pen and start practicing. Post your drills to Instagram using #90daysofdrills or the FREE Facebook Group and see how you get better with every day.